Sunday, October 16, 2022

SUSPICE; IGNATIUS OF LOYOLA PRAYER AND A TIMELY REFLECTION

 


                                                                                                                                                       Take Lord, and receive all my liberty, my memory, my understanding, and my entire will, all that I have and possess. Thou hast given all to me. To Thee, O lord, I return it. All is Thine, dispose of it wholly according to Thy will. Give me Thy love and thy grace,                                       for this is sufficient for me.                                             

Take, Lord, and receive. It is not so much about asking God to take but finally being in a space where we are prepared, eager, and trusting enough to give. This only comes after a recognition of all that has been given to us in our lives, from nature and creatures to our families, to deep friendships, these are graces we have received to get through hard times, and moments of consolation. We can be overwhelmed with gratitude.

All my liberty. Free will is the greatest gift we are given, even before we are born.  God has graciously allowed us to discern our direction and welcomed us back when we didn’t make very good decisions. But beyond limited understandings of freedom is a way of freedom in serving God and doing only the loving thing.  The freedom we truly seek is when we turn over our liberty to God’s will.

My memory. All of us have a past that we look back on, mostly with fondness.  And yet, there are thousands of moments of consolation not remembered, but that still shaped us. Those moments made us who we are for this moment, and this moment is the only one that matters. We may also recognize that our memories are filled with resentments and regrets that spin in our heads and have become a barrier to feeling and sharing the love of God. Please, dear God, we definitely don’t need those anymore.

My understanding. Our present. Our worldview is very limited. We may recognize, despite years of life experience, we know nothing before the Infinite Wisdom of God. The worst is when we insist in our minds that we are right about this moment and withhold compassion and love for another, because we think our understanding must rule the day. Good Lord, take my understanding when it is not helping us to do your will. What we need is to see the world and others and life with your understanding.  

My entire will. My future. We may have learned very quickly on this pilgrimage called life that any sense of control of the future is laughable. Like our understanding, our will is so flawed and limited by our little worldview. Finally, through trials and tribulations may we see that God’s will for our life will always be superior. Dear God, help us to live in the present, for we know not what the future holds.

All that I have and possess.  We think possessions give us security, but anything can be lost, broken, or destroyed in an instant, and still we will be who we are. Our true security comes only from recognizing that God possesses us.

You, Lord, have given all that to me. I now give it back to you, O Lord. All of it is yours. Dispose of it according to your will. We give it all freely in total trust that God knows far better than we do how to manage it. Our only job is to discern how to navigate each moment using all of the gifts given us and not becoming attached to any of them.

Give me only your love and your grace, for that is enough for me. That is the recognition that we are a part of the Infinite Love embodied in Jesus. In that, we are all connected to each other and the sacred world we have been given. And having the grace—the strength, the courage, the wisdom, the compassion, or whatever gift of the Spirit I need—to get through whatever is coming down the road is all any of us truly needs.

 


                                                                                        


No comments:

Post a Comment